History of Brook Street

 

Brook Street is located North East of Chester city centre. It was named after a nearby brook to the north.

Brook Street has existed in Chester since the seventeenth century and probably earlier as a pathway out of the city into the countryside. From 1855 when Chester’s general train station was built, until the 1970’s Brook Street was a main connection between the city centre and Chester’s train station, it carried traffic flow from Hoole and areas to the north east into Chester.

Brook Street, the Cattle Market and the surrounding area played an important role during the Industrial Revolution in Chester. The train station, at the top end of Brook Street, would load and unload cargo, the nearby lead works benefited from the Shropshire union canal (previously Chester/Nantwich canal), as it’s produce could easily be moved via barge. Residents of the surrounding area (known as Newtown) provided a workforce for Chester’s growing industries, whole estates of terrace housing accommodated Chester’s industrial work force. Some of these industries survived into the 20th century, such as iron and brass foundries and lead works. Brook Street had connected these areas together and subsequently provided a various range of services contributing to the wealth of the area.  The decline of the industry in the twentieth century and the construction of the inner ring road led to demolition around Brook Street, and changing the fortunes of the area.

 

Files to Download

Contact the School

CDEC - Cheshire

3 The Mount
Boughton
Chester
CH3 5UD

Tel: 01244 347 880
info@cheshiredec.org

Charity Number: 1096797

View our entire calendar